RRTech...The SOURCE for Extreme Liquid Cooling
Sidewinders Bitspower Jab-Tech

Go Back   RRTech...The SOURCE for Extreme Liquid Cooling > Liquid Cooling > Build Logs

Build Logs Show off your creation....

Old 03-06-2009, 05:44 AM   #1
ballz0r
Wet DownUnder

Default Project: AtomSmasher

man.... always the hardest part of this is thinking of a cool name.... so if anyone has any suggestions let me know

I'm making a small gaming computer... ive tried to balance size with power to make the smallest computer possible which will still play todays games with "all the goodies" so to speak , this will eventually be hooked up to my RealReseraTor... probably gona need to make up some custom blocks

so for the Mobo im thinking mini-ITX 2.0 which as far as I can tell is the smallest you can get while still having PCIe x16

Ive narrowed it down to the zotac 9300-ITX WiFi

ok, so ill need the most powerful single video card available... no brainer here its the GTX295....

keeping with the theme im thinking of the Zotac 295

the rest:

- 1 x Zotac Nitro
- 1 x SSD >100Gb (possibly more for raid if space permits)
- 2 x 2Gb DDR2 1066
- Q9550 E0 stepping

if anyone has any other hardware related suggestions please let me know now... im gona order next week as soon as i can find a reseller for the mobo.

I havent decided on a case but id like to be able to fit it all into an lc09

at the moment im thinking of mounting the 295 open with a custom waterblock.... im toying with the idea of making a full cover mobo block with the 295 on the other side connected by a PCIe extender cable.

man this is gona be fun

EDIT

I thought the name Blade was a bit so I changed it to Atom Smasher, fitting for such a powerful SFF Pc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mcoffey's Breadboard - Baleful's lappy farm - Coolmiester's Ghetto Skully - Baleful's Rig-in-a-box - JTrain's Desktop - Coolfris's Compact Cruncher - Just A Noobs Classy Cruncher - Shadowhunters NanoCruncher 4.0 - Oli4v's SuperSupreme with Cheeze - Floyd's Bottom Drawer - Oli4v's Sprawling Server

life getting you down? cant understand why people keep swearing at you? got sand in your mangina?
Sounds like you need to...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ballz0r; 03-25-2009 at 02:29 AM.
ballz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:28 AM   #2
rubidium
Liquid Physicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballz0r View Post
man this is gona be fun
Indeed. I'm certainly going to be following this build. With most watercooling activity at the sprawling big-case end of the spectrum (myself included), having the opposite end as a design goal is a refreshing challenge. This is a great opportunity to be truly innovative with an effective cooling system that truly has a minimum footprint. I'll also be very interested with how you handle a "remote" PCIe card.

Let us know how we can help.

rubidium
rubidium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
ballz0r
Wet DownUnder

well i tracked down the processor on the weekend.... its currently stable at 3.825 on my S2E. I should be able to reach my 4Ghz goal.

I just realised that I should be able to dedicate the 9300 for physx although ive never played round with this before.

I just need to find the board now.... so if anyone has any ideas let me know plz

mcoffey's Breadboard - Baleful's lappy farm - Coolmiester's Ghetto Skully - Baleful's Rig-in-a-box - JTrain's Desktop - Coolfris's Compact Cruncher - Just A Noobs Classy Cruncher - Shadowhunters NanoCruncher 4.0 - Oli4v's SuperSupreme with Cheeze - Floyd's Bottom Drawer - Oli4v's Sprawling Server

life getting you down? cant understand why people keep swearing at you? got sand in your mangina?

Last edited by ballz0r; 03-08-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
ND40oz
Suck on it Trebek!

Isn't this it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813500022

Looks like it comes with wifi.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
ballz0r
Wet DownUnder

The 9300-ITX WiFi has on board wireless G

Old 03-08-2009, 06:10 PM   #6
ballz0r
Wet DownUnder

i just saw this in the spec:

Features Integrated Wifi
Compatibility 802.11b/g

but i cant see the aerial ???

Old 03-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #7
ballz0r
Wet DownUnder

aaaah i see... theres a usb WIFI add on

thanks mate!!!

Old 03-08-2009, 07:31 PM   #8
ballz0r
Wet DownUnder

OK my newegg cart is ready to go... just need someone with an address in the US.

No Zotac GTX295 at the egg

Final Parts List:

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Sony Optiarc Slim 8X Slot Loading DVD Burner Black SATA Model AD-7670S-01
ZOTAC GF9300-D-E Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
1G.SKILL TITAN Series FM-25S2S-256GBT1 2.5" Internal Solid state disk (SSD)
Patriot Xporter Magnum 64GB Flash Drive (USB2.0 Portable)

Old 03-09-2009, 04:02 AM   #9
ballz0r
Wet DownUnder

well i pushed the button on the 295 and nitro today, so its point of no return

found a supplier for the 9300-itx as well and they are seeing if they can get the rest of the bits i need.

next post will be the obligatory pile of parts before test setup on air

Old 03-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #10
smee
RRR wanna be

Wow man will be watching this closely!

YOU STOLE MY IDEA FUTHER MUCKING BAST........ oh ahaha... just kidding.
Lol I was planning to do this kind of a build eventually. :P

Best of luck!

BTW, I'm interested in that Sony Optiarc slot loading drive... was thinking of picking it up myself, when you get it can you kinda just give a brief review on it? Like if it's reasonably fast, loud or quiet, works good or not, flimsy or solid... etc...

That'd be great man cuz i need a good slot loading drive and i absolutely LOVE the fact that I don't have to get a slim IDE to SATA conversion thingy....
Corsair HX850 PSU || 2x Seagate 500GB 7200.12
3x Dell E2311H 23" LED LCD (Eyefinity)

- Canon 30D || 50mm f/1.8 PRIME || 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:33 AM   #11
ballz0r
Wet DownUnder

well most of the parts are on the way... Baleful is helping me out with my NewEgg order (what a legend!)

after a bit of research it seems that the idea I had for using the onboard 9300 for physx will work well

http://www.guru3d.com/article/physx-by-nvidia-review/4

From the looks of that it should provide a 20-30% boost to frame rates!!!

cant wait to try it out

Last edited by ballz0r; 03-10-2009 at 02:35 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:52 PM   #12
MomijiTMO
RRR Addict

Send a message via MSN to MomijiTMO

Wow what an awesome tiny pc in the making.
MomijiTMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:04 PM   #13
ballz0r
Wet DownUnder

to RRT Momijitmo

Old 03-13-2009, 09:56 AM   #14
ballz0r
Wet DownUnder

Look what the postman brought today

While I wait for the rest of the bits i had a play with my new gear

First run, plug and play... multi GPU and physics were enabled by default...

nice numbers for a single card on stock settings. Beats my 3 way 8800s already

Disabling Physx did this

Not so nice, but to be expected

Next I thought Id try an 8500 GS for dedicated Physx

Crap

How about a 8600 GT?

double crap!

hmmm, the reviews said multi card physx worked best with GPUs of the same series... So it looks like my idea to use the on board 9300 for Physx isnt gona work.

oh well.... this could end up being a sweet htpc

Old 03-13-2009, 11:20 AM   #15
ballz0r
Wet DownUnder

Sticking to the original settings (multi gpu and physx enables) its time to see what this Nitro unit can do for me.

A few runs got me to here:

the card was barely breaking a sweat with temps at 60C max, so i went higher...

Old 03-13-2009, 02:16 PM   #16
smee
RRR wanna be

Very nice man! Can't wait for the rest of the system .

oh lol i see BSOD in background... :P

Old 03-14-2009, 02:18 AM   #17
ballz0r
Wet DownUnder

pushed it a bit further....

Core 696 memory 1159 shader 1432

still wont go over 700 core tho and with the fans at max temps are only up round 70... hopefullt when i get it under water i'll be able to break the 700 barrier, but for now im pretty pleased with the card

Old 03-15-2009, 09:38 AM   #18
ballz0r
Wet DownUnder

I found a rivatuner plugin which lets you up the voltage on your graphics card which let me bust thru the 700 mhz core barrier tonight

Core 720 Memory 1200 Shader 1440

I dont think ill try pushing it much further till its under water

back to the waiting game

Last edited by ballz0r; 03-15-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:30 PM   #19
ballz0r
Wet DownUnder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballz0r View Post
back to the waiting game
the waiting game sux ass

Core 735, memory 1250, Shader 1470

this card is a fucking beast! that 3dmark is better than the 4870 X2..... in crossfire!!! eat that red team

Old 03-16-2009, 06:46 AM   #20
Kayin
Ancalagon the Black

I'll be bringing a reply to that shortly.

Kayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:12 PM   #21
ballz0r
Wet DownUnder

the 9300-ITX just arrived

man thats small

Old 03-22-2009, 10:31 PM   #22
smee
RRR wanna be

Holy crap that is small.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:45 PM   #23
ballz0r
Wet DownUnder

sorry about the crap photos.... I was pretty excited to show you guys.
Ill take some better ones tonight

im gona need a shorter riser card

Old 03-22-2009, 11:38 PM   #24
ballz0r
Wet DownUnder

some nicer shots...

you can see what I mean when I say thin now

gona run it in on air until its all working then convert it over to water and a custom case once all the bits get here.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:40 AM   #25
Septim
Voice of Wisdom

Send a message via Yahoo to Septim

nice parts... almost fits in a shoe box...

Computer operating 24/7 not doing anything? Don't waste that idle CPU power!

Join up with our teams on WorldCommunityGrid or Folding@Home
This is for a good cause.

to Join, simply click here:

Septim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
9300-itx, gtx295, hax, sff, zotac