RRTech...The SOURCE for Extreme Liquid Cooling
Sidewinders Bitspower Jab-Tech

Go Back   RRTech...The SOURCE for Extreme Liquid Cooling > Audio / Video > Home Video

Home Video EXTREME Home Video Equipment...

Old 11-08-2009, 08:19 AM   #1
Cutless009
Resident Geek

Send a message via AIM to Cutless009
Default Want a rich media experience? Don't expect it from Snow Leopard!

So after running into some rather serious driver issues with this (extremely)proprietary broadcom wifi chip and it causing BSOD's left and right in Win7, I decided "eh wtf, maybe Ill fight with OS X to get it to decode right".

Don't bet a penny on it. According to several reliable sources, access to gpu-accelerated decoding and interlacing is COMPLETELY disabled in OS X. When Apple was queried about this choice they stated "The graphics environment in OS X is refined to the point where access to these feature is unnecessary". Tell that to my 9billion dropped frames and 15fps framerate when decoding 1080p video!

Don't believe me? check out this thread on the VLan forums http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23

Back to finding drivers that work in Win7 without crashes I suppose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cutless009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:09 PM   #2
Darkvine
RRR Addict

Some bullshit as to why OS X has no blu ray playback software. I forget their last official reposes but it basically was "OS X is so ahead of it's time...so....er....if we say blu ray isn't ready for it it isn't ready for the world!"

And since it is a mac, there is no free or paid software for it anywhere that I have heard of. (not sure why, maybe there is something in the OS stopping people from making it work)

Then there is defrag, because "OS X's filing system is so refined that you could get no real benfit from the feature."

Damn idiots.
Darkvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:11 PM   #3
Cutless009
Resident Geek

Send a message via AIM to Cutless009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkvine View Post
Then there is defrag, because "OS X's filing system is so refined that you could get no real benfit from the feature."

Damn idiots.
This is at least PARTIALLY true. With the way the file structure works, simply rebooting your system performs a SIMPLE defrag. It IS however, extremely helpful to run an in-depth defrag on your mac every couple of weeks. This is why a lot of mac users see heavily degraded performance over the life of their macs. Especially if they never reformat it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cutless009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
ablatman
RRR Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkvine View Post
Some bullshit as to why OS X has no blu ray playback software. I forget their last official reposes but it basically was "OS X is so ahead of it's time...so....er....if we say blu ray isn't ready for it it isn't ready for the world!"

And since it is a mac, there is no free or paid software for it anywhere that I have heard of. (not sure why, maybe there is something in the OS stopping people from making it work)

Damn idiots.
Keep in mind that OS X is UNIX, and I'm sure there are programs to do the above that are UNIX compatible. It may take a shoehorn and some know-how, but I'm sure it could be made to work.
ablatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
Darkvine
RRR Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutless009 View Post
This is at least PARTIALLY true. With the way the file structure works, simply rebooting your system performs a SIMPLE defrag. It IS however, extremely helpful to run an in-depth defrag on your mac every couple of weeks. This is why a lot of mac users see heavily degraded performance over the life of their macs. Especially if they never reformat it.
To me it isn't even partially true if in the end I still lose performance, even if that is 1-2 years down the line you should include something rather then the feeling they put off (which they do a lot) of while Windows needs it and we don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablatman View Post
Keep in mind that OS X is UNIX, and I'm sure there are programs to do the above that are UNIX compatible. It may take a shoehorn and some know-how, but I'm sure it could be made to work.
But nothing is out as of yet, at least nothing from any official player, maybe somewhere there is a dude on a forum that made hacked one, but you would have to be able to find it first.

And I am sure you can get something to work somehow but you shouldn't have to be an expert in coding or in Unix workarounds to get something so basic to work. Not when the tech has been out so long now, not when you have even came out with a new OS since then.
Darkvine is offline   Reply With Quote